Thanks to two recent big news, we now know a lot more about the upcoming Dirk Gently TV series that will be broadcast on BBC America.
- The TV series, penned by Max Landis, will consist of eight episodes
- The broadcast should begin in fall 2016
- Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings) will play Todd, Dirk Gently’s sidekick (it’s of course a brand new character) :”Todd does not consider himself a sidekick. He is just flat-out better than Dirk at a lot of things. He always attempts to solve matters with the fewest steps possible; despite being a compassionate, sweet, smarter-than-average man with biting wit, Todd often finds himself at the intersection of morally gray crossroads. Thus, his bad habits of lying and stealing have dire consequences that he can’t put off forever, even though he tries. As Todd describes himself to Dirk: “I am not your Watson, a**hole. I am not available for side-kicking on something I am not involved with. I am my own messed up person with my own messed up problems.”
- Samuel Barnett (Twelfth Night, The History Boys, Penny Dreadful) will be a quite young Dirk Gently ! And as it was the case of Stephen Mangan in the BBC TV series, he doesn’t look like Dirk Gently at all !
- The showrunner of the series will be Robert Cooper (formerly an executive producer of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe. He also co-created both Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe with Brad Wright. Cooper has written, produced and directed many episodes of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe).
- The two first episodes of the series will be directed by Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest).